GRAY JAYS eating out of my hand in Petroglyphs Provincial Park

Markus J. Lise markusonmill at speedline.ca
Sat Aug 31 10:31:56 EDT 2002

Good Morning Birders,

I had the experience of my life yesterday.  For the first time in my life I
saw a family of GRAY JAYS.  No sooner had I stepped outside of my car I saw
some BLUE JAYS I thought.  I quickly pulled out a hand full of black oiled
sunflower seeds and peanuts from my trunk and before I realized it I had a
GRAY JAY perched on the tip of my fingers stuffing his beak/face with
several peanuts.  I called out to Jeanne who was still sitting in the car:
"Jeanne, take a picture!"  It took a while for her to catch on but by the
time the third bird perched on my finger tips again Jeanne was able to snap
a photo.  It was a family of 5.

On Friday I sighted a NORTHERN MOCKING BIRD, adult feeding a caterpillar to
a young bird at Whitby Mental Health Center.

On a daily basis I have been enjoying a family of AMERICAN KESTRELS on the
utility wires in the area of Whitby Mental Health Center, on Gordon St. &
Victoria.

Several SHOREBIRDS, GREATER & LESSER YELLOW LEGS, BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS &
KILLDEER have been feeding in the shallow ponds on the corner of Nordeagle &
Montecorte Ave, as well in the pond by Newcastle where there were GREEN
HERON, BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON & GREAT BLUE HERON.  OSPREY, NIGHT HAWKS &
RED TAILED HAWKS have continued to make their appearance as well.

The BUTTERFLIES & DRAGONFLIES & the MOON continue to entertain us during the
day at this time of the year.  And the STARS, PLANETS & CONSTELLATIONS are
entertaining us at night.  Look into the western sky after 2000 hours and
enjoy the one and only brightest star VENUS with SPICA, the blue star
nearby.  Check out the DRAA web site:  drastronomy.com  and do plan to take
in some of the viewing this coming weekend September 7 at the Orono Fair.
All kinds of telescopes will be set up for your viewing of the sky.

Directions:  Take Highway # 12 south of Highway # 401 to Victoria and turn
west till Gordon St.  as well as Montecorte Ave.

For Petroglyphs Provincial Park look on Ontario map north of Peterborough.

For Newcastle take Mill St. S. off # 401 and take Port of Newcastle to the
lake for the shallow pond and take Mill St. S. for 590 Mill St. S. feeders.

Markus & Jeanne Lise
Newcastle, On.

I continue to enjoy BALTIMORE ORIOLES & RUBY THROATED HUMMING BIRDS feeding
in my yard

"Markus J. Lise" <markusonmill at speedline.ca>