HBMO, Ontario banding report - September 7 & 8, 2002

Allen Chartier amazilia1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 9 09:56:49 EDT 2002

Banders and Birders,

This weekend started out much better than any so far this season, as we
banded 50 birds on Saturday, putting us above the 40 birds/100 Net Hours
(52.9) for the first time this season.  Sunday, however, returned to the
relative doldrums we've been experiencing with only 16 birds banded.
Phenologically, we are still in mid-August, as evidenced by many natural
events, and reinforced by the 90+ degree heat both days.  One example; in 27
years I've never seen American Lotus (Nelumbo lutea) in bloom in September,
but it is still prime right now.  Saturday's flurry of birds earlier in the
day allowed us to stay open a little longer than we have been, but on Sunday
certain events, including the heat, forced us to close the station early.

Brief summaries for the two days follows:

September 7, 2002 (16-29 degrees C, clear, wind SSE)
INTERNATIONAL HUMMINGBIRD DAY
Open from 5:00 - 14:00 E.S.T. (9.00 hours, 94.50 Net Hours)
Total Banded: 50 (our best day so far!)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 6
Eastern Phoebe - 1 (first for the season)
Swainson's Thrush - 9 (first for the season)
Wood Thrush - 1
Gray Catbird - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - 3
Tennessee Warbler - 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 3
Magnolia Warbler - 10
Blackpoll Warbler - 1 (first for the season)
Black-and-white Warbler - 2
American Redstart - 6
Ovenbird - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 2

Thank you to banders Bob Hall-Brooks and Carl Pascoe, and assistants Rachel
Powless and Steve Greidanus.  Thanks for the help and good company from
visiting Ohio bander Tom Bartlett and his wife Paula.

September 8, 2002 (17-30 degrees C, clear, wind N-SE, very light)
Open from 5:00 - 11:00 E.S.T. (6.00 hours, 63.00 Net Hours)
Total Banded: 16
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 5
Swainson's Thrush - 1
Tennessee Warbler - 1
Magnolia Warbler - 5
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 2
Ovenbird - 1

Thank you to banders Carl Pascoe, and Steve Greidanus, and assistants Rachel
Powless and Bob Hall-Brooks.

Holiday Beach Migration Observatory (HBMO) is an organization devoted to
monitoring migration at the Holiday Beach Conservation Area, Essex Co.,
Ontario, administered by the Essex Region Conservation Authority. In
addition to a hawk-watch/passerine count that has been in operation since
1974, HBMO operates three banding stations, two for raptors (since 1987) and
one for passerines and hummingbirds (since 1997). The Holiday Beach
Conservation Area was designated an Important Bird Area by Conservation
International in 2000.

Lat: 42-01'54.1" Long: 083-02'41.6"

For directions and information on our site, go to the HBMO website at:
http://www.hbmo.org

Allen Chartier
amazilia1 at comcast.net
1442 West River Park Drive