Amherst Island

Alex and Karen akscott at kos.net
Sat Sep 14 22:54:42 EDT 2002

I also birded Amherst Island today.  I got much the same as Bruce except
that by the time I got to the BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS there were 6 - I think
that's the most I have ever seen at one time over there.  Also there
were 2 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS in the grass around the drying up ponds
as you go in to the KFN property.

Karen and I also checked out the Owl Woods but found nothing as yet
which was not really surprising - the earliest record I have for
SAW-WHET OWL is September 24 in 1995 with the usual first day being the
last day or two of September or the first few days of October.

Amherst Island is 16 km west of Kingston.  Take exit # 593 from Highway
401, proceed south on County Road  #4 (formerly Highway 133) to
Millhaven on Lake Ontario - the ferry dock is 200m west on Hwy 33 (Bath
Road).   A round-trip costs $5.00.  The ferry leaves every hour on the
half-hour from 6:30 am onward.

Alex. Scott

Alex and Karen <akscott at kos.net>