songbirds (Blue-gray Gnatcatcher) - Ottawa

Tony Beck beck.tony at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 16 13:42:53 EDT 2002

Hi Ontbirders

Today was my most productive day for songbirds in Ottawa, so far this fall.

At Shirley's Bay boat landing area, we had 11 species of warbler, including:
Tennessee, Nashville, Northern Parula, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped,
Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Palm, Blackpoll, Black and White, and
Common Yellowthroat.

Also present were Lincoln's Sparrow, Winter Wren, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
and Golden-crowned Kinglets.

At Britannia Conservation area we also had 11 species of warbler including:
Tennessee, Nashville, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Bay-breasted,
Blackpoll and Wilson's.

Also present were Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Trail's Flycatcher and Scarlet
Tanager. Three species of Vireo were all heard singing including Warbling,
Red-eyed and Blue-headed.

Someone outside our group reported a Northern Waterthrush in Britannia,
making a total of 16 species of warbler observed today. I strongly suspect
there are many others not yet reported.

Cheers and Good Song-Birding

Tony

DIRECTIONS TO SHIRLEY'S BAY BOAT LAUNCH: From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west,
turn north
(right) on the Moodie Drive exit. Continue to Carling Ave. Turn left at
Carling Ave. and
follow Carling to Rifle Road. Turn right (north) on Rifle Rd. Park at the
lot at the end (boat launch). All the songbirds were observed in this
general area, including the cottages east of the boat launch.

DIRECTIONS TO BRITANNIA CONSERVATION AREA: Take Pinecrest Road north off of
the Queensway (Hwy 417). Continue north on Pinecrest, then turn right (east)
onto Richmond Road. After Richmond crosses Carling Avenue, turn left (north)
onto Poulin Avenue. Poulin becomes Howe Street and bends to the left. at the
intersection with Britannia Road, turning right. Continue down Britannia to
the "T" junction with Cassels Street. Turn right onto Cassles and park along
the roadside. The birds were all observed along the riparian growth
following the Ottawa River.

"Tony Beck" <beck.tony at sympatico.ca>