American White Pelican- Cootes Paradise, September 21st

Brandon Holden skholden at attcanada.ca
Sat Sep 21 21:37:27 EDT 2002

Hello,

    Today, September 21st, My Mom and I saw an AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN fly
into Cootes Paradise from the west. I am not sure wether this is the same
bird which has been present since August, or another bird. Either way there
is still one in that area if any birders want to see it. Other Highlights
here were 10 GREAT EGRETS, 1 BALD EAGLE, 1 OSPREY and a LINCHOLN'S SPARROW.
Birders should also know that shorebird habitat here is excelent, but there
were very few species present. Best were a Black-bellied Plover and a Stilt
Sandpiper.

Good Birding

Brandon Holden

Birders Should note that this is a rough trail with many holes and downed
trees in the area. Also you should wear shoes and/or long pants because
there is a lot of Stinging Neetle beside and over the path. (trust me, i
found out the hard way)

Directions: Main St. West to Cootes Drive (at McMaster University), down
hill (north) to bridge over creek. Watch the parking regulations - the best
way is to continue 200 m. to Olympic Drive, then u-turn back to the bridge
on the south side of Cootes Drive. Take the trail on the side of the bridge
away from McMaster and follow it (the creek should be on your RIGHT side)
for 250 m. to the foot bridge. If you turn sharp left after crossing the
bridge, there is a trail along the creek which goes out to what is called
the Willows. If you follow this trail the creek is now on your LEFT side.
Continue down this path until you can see into the bay and there is a large
mudflat that has been created.The Pelican and Egrets were here.

"Brandon Holden" <skholden at attcanada.ca>