Sharp tailed Sparrow Trip 4

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 2 13:42:44 EDT 2002

Another group of birders made the trek out today in humid conditions to
Dundas Marsh.  We managed thanks to Bob Stamp to see one Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrow at a close distance as it moved in and out of the reeds
on the mud near the pond.  It was extremely quiet in the area today.  We
might have had a possible second but could not relocate when it flew.  Marsh
wrens seem to have dwindled, a few swamp sparrows around but fairly quiet
otherwise.

Other birds seen on the trip:

Pileated Woodpecker
Sora Rail
Coopers Hawk
American Kestrel
Chimney Swift
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Kingfisher
White-throated Sparrow
White Pelican
Pectoral Sandpipers (many)
Semipalmated Plover
Least Sandpiper

Thanks to Bob Stamp for locating our bird as well as my assistants Dave Don
and Tom Crooks.  Next trip will be on Saturday with Bob Stamp.

Cheers,
Cheryl

Birders can meet the respective leaders at 7:30 a.m. on the west side of
Cootes Drive and the north side of Spencer Creek.  Cootes Drive runs between
Main Street West in Hamilton (immediately west of McMaster University) and
Dundas.

>From the 403, take Highway 6 north to Old York Road.  (Esso Gas station at
the corner.)  Turn left (west) and continue until the road ends at Cootes
Drive.  There is a stop light here.  Turn left, drive less than 1 km. and
park on the wide shoulder on the right before Spencer Creek.

"Cheryl Edgecombe" <cheryle29 at cogeco.ca>