HSR: Hawk Cliff (20 Oct 2002) Raptor counts (total=1505)

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Wed Oct 23 23:16:18 EDT 2002

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, ON, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 20, 2002

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             448           7687           7986
Osprey                       0             48            225
Bald Eagle                   6             55            151
Northern Harrier            17            272            904
Sharp-shinned Hawk         261           1946           5099
Cooper's Hawk               53            218            280
Northern Goshawk             1              3              3
Red-shouldered Hawk        175            251            251
Broad-winged Hawk            6             48          67136
Red-tailed Hawk            384            902            991
Rough-legged Hawk            1              1              1
Golden Eagle                 6              8              8
American Kestrel            12            542           3313
Merlin                       4             48            136
Peregrine Falcon             0             97            140
Unknown                    131            283            311
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                    1505          12410          86936

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Site Coordinator: Keith Sealy

Observers:        Dave Brown, Mac, Tom Bolohan

Visitors:
Alf & Betty J., Dennis Lewington& Gwen, Paul & Jane Morris and John
Nieweadonski (sorry John if I got your last name wrong...but sometimes
it's hard to read the sheets :) A big thanks to everyone for helping to
spot the birds!

Weather:
A typical fall day with moderate WNW winds backing around to just W and
light for the afternoon. Temp struggled to get to 14 today (and that was
in a spot sheltered from the wind)...brrr could that be winter I feel?
Bring on the Golden Eagles!!

Observations:
Well today our wishes came true as a total of 6 Golden Eagles passed by.
What was interesting is that 5 of the 6 were actually adult
birds...usually we would be seeing mostly immature birds at this point in
October. I'm not sure if this was just a fluke or whether something else
is going on. We'll have to see what the winds bring over the next couple
of weeks. Also of note were the large number of Red-Shouldered
Hawks...some of which were very low and provided excellent viewing. The
adult birds of this species are spectacular!

Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

reports at hawkcount.org