Golden Eagle, dark-phase Roughie among 141 raptors during 5 hours at Cranberry RW, Whitby, ON, Oct.24

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Thu Oct 24 16:26:33 EDT 2002

For 2 hours on Oct.24 it did not look like the continuing northerlies were
going to bring the hawks across the wetlands at Cranberry, BUT after1000EST
seven observers started to pick up raptors coming in from Thickson Pt. to
the east. 2 wondrous sights were 1) a magnificent adult Golden Eagle
breaking away from a small kettle of TVs to soar rapidly, without a wingbeat
over our heads, and 2)our first dark-phase Rough-legged Hawk (juv.).
Over the next 3 hours we counted 104 Red-taileds and 23 TVs among 141
migrant raptors.
We were happy to have Ken and Judith Smith from Orillia with us (indeed,
they volunteered to continue for a while after the rest of the gang had
left).
The past few days have brought over 800 hawks through, this being a bright
factor to an otherwise low count for this year.

Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch is at the foot of Hall's Rd. in southwest
Whitby, ON

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW; counter Jerry Walsh

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>