965 hawks Oct.20-26 at Cranberry, Whitby,ON--incl. 4 Goldens, 18 Rough-leggeds,340 RTs

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Oct 26 15:26:31 EDT 2002

Oct.20,21,23 & 24 were marked by northerlies and rising BP for at least part
of each of the days--99,277,415 & 152 migrating raptors resp. The TV count
seems to be tailing off; Red-shouldereds are few along the north shoreline;
on Oct.23 we had 15 light morph Rough-leggeds, this being very much a
highlight; on Oct.24 our first Dark morph RL came through; on Oct. 12
distant kettling birds were noted, one being much larger--after 5 minutes
the latter broke away (from the TVs) to soar wondrously over our heads--an
adult Golden Eagle.
I want to thank the many volunteers who have kept the watch alive for 65
days (over 30 to go!!!).
Non-raptor highlights during the week--our first Tree Sparrow-Oct.26;
Towhee, Swainson's Thrush, Pipits, Dunlins, White-rumpeds, many migrating
Crows.
For the Oct.20-26  week the following migrants were recorded (season totals
in brackets).
> > Turkey Vulture--267        (  1121      )
> >   Osprey--    -    ( 73       )
> >   Bald Eagle--  -      ( 16       )
> >   Northern Harrier--  8       ( 91       )
> >   Sharp-shinned-- 264       (  1302      )
> >   Cooper's--    7        (  36      )
> >   Northern Goshawk--  3      ( 10       )
> >   Red-shouldered -  16   (  23 )
> > Broad-winged--  -       (  281      )--unbelievable low !!!
> > Swainson's--  -       (   -     )
> >  Red-tailed--  340      (  467      )
> >  Rough-legged--18        ( 18       )
> >  Golden Eagle--    4    (   4     )
> > Am. Kestrel-- 5       (  709      )
> >  Merlin--    -    (   7     )
> >  Peregrine--   -     ( 6       )
> >  Unidentified--  33      (  69      )
> >  TOTAL--  965      ( 4233       )

CMRW is at the base of Hall's Rd. in southwesrt Whitby, ON on the north
shore of Lake Ontario

 Coordinator--DOUG LOCKREY, Whitby
Counters, Observers Oct.20-26--Karl Jennewein,Dan Kaczynski,Rayfield
Pye,JimMcKnight,Susan Morgan,Brian Steele, Don Moore,Carol Horner,Frank
Oland,Jerry Walsh,Dave Shannon,Bob Beersworth,Les Sayer,Charlie Adey,Ken &
Judith Smith,Al Horner,Hugh Peacock

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>