Barrow's Goldeneye & Sandhill Crane Ottawa

Bruce DiLabio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 27 21:31:12 EST 2002

Hello Ontbirders
    Today October 27th at 11:00am  I observed a male Barrow's Goldeneye
at Remic Rapids along the Ottawa River in Ottawa. It was in a flock of
approximately 200 Common Goldeneyes feeding just east of the lookout.
This is an area where Barrow's Goldeneyes have been observed
overwintering in the past.
    In the afternoon, there were 34 Sandhill Cranes feeding in a
recently ploughed field along Milton Road just east of Ottawa.

    Directions: For the Barrow's Goldeneye: take Parkdale Ave. north
from Hwy. 417 to the Western Parkway and travel west turning right off
parkway at Remic Rapids Lookout. You can view the goldeneyes in the
rapids from the lookout. .
Sandhill Crane directions: From Ottawa centre, take the 417 east to
Anderson Rd.  Turn east on Russell Rd to Milton Rd and then north on
Milton Road.. Continue just north of
Perreault Road and check the cornfields on the west side of the road. If
you require additional information please email me privately
                                            good birding
                                            Bruce

Bruce DiLabio <bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca>