GREAT HORNED OWL hooting in Newcastle

Markus J. Lise markusonmill at speedline.ca
Tue Nov 26 03:13:43 EST 2002

Hello Fellow Birders & Star Gazers:

The GREAT HORNED OWLS have been hooting throughout the nights south of
Newcastle off and on.  This night has been an awesome night with a bright
half moon with its craters showing very clearly and the bright planet
Jupiter right close to it with her 4 moons sparkling at 1 o'clock & 7
o'clock.  It is almost 3 o'clock in the morning as I am typing this report.
I have BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES, WHITE BREASTED NUTHATCHES, JUNCOS, DOWNY
WOODPECKERS, MOURNING DOVES, CARDINALS & BLUE JAYS in my yard during the
day.  I am not sure what happened to the HOUSE & GOLD FINCHES and the WHITE
WINGED CROSSBILLS & RED WINGED CROSSBILLS.  There do not seem to be any
around.

I sighted 3 HOODED MERGANSERS, 10 BUFFLEHEADS, 8 GOLDENEYES, 30 RED BREASTED
MERGANSERS in the Port Darlington Harbor and the Lake at the end of Liberty
St. in Bowmanville.

There were as many if not more of the same birds at Bonnie Brae Point south
of Oshawa and in the Whitby Harbor by the new boat launch off Gordon St. as
well as 4 COMMON MERGANSERS and a GREAT BLUE HERON across Gordon St. in the
water reservoir between Lakeridge Hospital Whitby and Whitby Mental Health
Center.

Directions:  Mill St south off the 401 at Newcastle, Liberty St south off
the 401 at Bowmanville, Simcoe St south off the 401 at Oshawa and Highway 12
south of 401 at Whitby and turn west on Victoria St. by traffic lights and
turn south on Gordon St to the boat launch.

Markus J. Lise
Newcastle,

"Markus J. Lise" <markusonmill at speedline.ca>