Fw: neither cold nor rain deterred us from picking up 2 Bald Eagles, 5 Roughies at Cranberry Marsh RW, Whitby,ON,CA Nov.17-23'02

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Nov 30 21:05:38 EST 2002

The Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch came to an official close on Sat.Nov.30'02.
THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE HAWKS WILL CEASE MOVING THROUGH!!  I DO ASK
BIRDERS TO REPORT ON ONTBIRDS ANY FUTURE SIGHTINGS.
Due to relatively few good-weather days (for hawk migration) the 99-day
total of 4902 was 8100 below the previous 12 years' average!!!! LOOK AT THE
BROAD-WINGED TOTAL BELOW!!!
I am grateful to the many volunteers who stuck with it--indeed, we did have
some great hours.

An adult BALD EAGLE may show itself in the willow tree along the lakefront.

The birder-favourite bird-feeding station has been set up at the north
pathway entry on Hall's Rd., thanks to George & Karl; large numbers of House
Finches are regulars to date.

Among non-raptor species viewed from the CMRW platform this week have been
N.Shrike, Flicker, White-crowned Sparrow, Swamp Sparrows, white-morph Snow
Geese,Rusty Blackbirds,Snow Buntings,Red-throated Loon (Nov.24), Long-tailed
Duck

For the Nov.24-Nov.30 week the following migrants were recorded (season
totals in brackets):
>  Turkey Vulture--  2      (  1128      )
>  Osprey--  -                      ( 74  )
>  Bald Eagle-- 1                   (   20     )
>  Northern Harrier--  3    (   117     )
>  Sharp-shinned--  8          (  1360    )
>  Cooper's--     1       (  43      )
>  Northern Goshawk-- -  1    (   20     )
>  Red-shouldered  ---     (26  )
>  Broad-winged--  -        ( 281       )
>  Swainson's   -    (   0    )
>  Red-tailed--   38     (  950      )
>  Rough-legged--   2     (  47      )
>  Golden Eagle-- - 1      (  12     )
>  Am. Kestrel--   -     (  715      )
>  Merlin--   2     (  13   )
>  Peregrine-- -       (   8     )
>  Unidentified--  - 2    (  88      )
>    TOTAL--  61    (  4902     )
>
>   The CMRW is located at the base of Hall's Rd. in southwest Whitby,ON,CA
>
>   Coordinator--DOUG LOCKREY, Whitby,ON
>   Counters, Observers--Karl Jennewein, Dan Kaczynski,Susan Morgan,Brian
Steele,Rayfield Pye,King Baker,Jim McKnight,Charlie Adey,Carol Horner,Don
Moore, Leon Schlicter,Jim Fairchild,George Morrison,Doerchen Mohr

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>