Short-eared Owls

blgapes blgapes at cogeco.ca
Sat Jan 25 19:29:33 EST 2003

We found at least 20 short-eared owls on the 6th concession north of
Fisherville between 5 and 6 p.m. today (Saturday). We didn't find any our
first time down the road but on the second go-around we stopped to ask the
people in a slow moving van coming towards us if they were also on an owl
prowl. They said yes but no owls and were heading home. Immediately as we
started to talk to them, all the owls flew out of the spruce trees right
beside our cars.  They continued to fly over the adjacent fields and
overhead for at least a half an hour. Three cars about 100 metres down the
road got to see this amazing display as well.

This all happened from the trees in front of a farm with a sign designating
it as Pine Row Farms.  It is just before the Raptor Preserve as you travel
west along the 6th concession.

Directions:  From the intersection of Main and Erie in Fisherville, follow
Erie St. N. to the 6th concession, the first road left after leaving
Fisherville.

We wish all who go to see the birds the same awesome sight that we had!

Bob and Lynn Gapes
Burlington

P.S.
Be careful of drifted snow on the side roads and highways in the area. We
were missed by about a foot as a car coming towards us spun out on drifted
snow at an intersection. Just as lucky as our sighting!

blgapes <blgapes at cogeco.ca>