Kingston Field Naturalists Region Sightings for Week Ending Jan. 26. '03

Bob Sachs rsachs at cogeco.ca
Sun Jan 26 11:38:12 EST 2003

Report to OntBirds, from the week's sightings for the Kingston Region, as
reported the compiler.

Map Page numbers and location Quadrants noted in square brackets [...] below
are for named sites. They refer to the MapArt Publishing "Ontario Road
Atlas, 2000 Edition".

Map Page numbers and Quadrants in Open Brace brackets {.....} below are for
locations requiring more detail. They refer to MapArt Deluxe Street Atlas of
Eastern & Northern Ontario, 1st Edition.

This is a copy of the Jan. 26, '03 KFN Phone Line Announcement, with added
detail for locations:

AMHERST I. [page 36, quad E 54 & 55]

January 21/03, Bruce Ripley & Ken Kingdon birded the Island and observed 4
SNOWY OWLS on the eastern half of the island, 2 BALD EAGLES on the southwest
portion of the island and many ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, RED-TAILED HAWKS,
AMERICAN KESTRELS and
1 NORTHERN HARRIER seen mostly on the eastern half of the island. A lone
SONG SPARROW was seen on the side of the road. Many RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS
were seen in the little amount of open water along the south shore at the
east end. We snow-shoed into the Owl Woods and found 5 LONG-EARED OWLS in
the Jack Pine Forest and 1 SAW-WHET OWL in a red cedar just north of the
Jack Pine Forest on the south side of the main trail. The LONG-EARED OWLS
were at the entrance of the Jack Pine Forest so instead searching the woods
for more owls, we decided to walk away and not flush the owls on such a cold
day.

PR. EDW. COUNTY EAST

January 20/03, Bruce Ripley & Ken Kingdon reported seeing the Male VARIED
THRUSH and female RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER at house # 383 Prinyer's Cove Cres.
This road is accessed from the Cty Rd. #7 near its east end. Please park to
the side of the road and do not block any driveways. [page 35, quad F53]

Prince Edward County. COOPER'S HAWK, 30 HORNED LARKS, 15 AMERICAN ROBINS on
County Road #7 [page 35, quads F52 & 53]

A NORTHERN FLICKER along the Babylon Road. [page 35, quad H52]

Many LONG-TAILED DUCKS, COMMON GOLDENEYE, GREATER SCAUP and WHITE-WINGED
SCOTERS at Prince Edward Point. [page 35, quads G52 & G53]

GLAUCOUS & ICELAND GULL at Napanee Landfill Site on the north side of
Beachwood Dr. [page 35, quad D51 & 52]

OTHER SIGHTINGS

At Cartwright Point {page 49, quad N20} on Jan. 23, 24, 25 & 26, CAROLINA
WRENS were at our suet feeders at 14 The Point Rd. and a BROWN CREEPER on
Jan. 25. The SCREECH OWL was seen basking in the box on Woodpecker Lane by
Martha McCallum on Jan. 20. (the McCallums live across the Lane from OWL
box)

Nick Gazendam reported a lone BELTED KINGFISHER on a dead tree by a small
patch of open swamp 500 m past the Sydenham ski hills on Bedford Road, Jan.
20. Not seen it since.

Chris Grooms advised that Kit Chubb reported a Towhee at Yarker on Jan. 22.

Lena McPhee reported, in this last week, we've enjoyed watching a flock of
~20 AM. ROBINS (presumably year-round residents), together with a couple of
CEDAR WAXWINGS, flitting about in the streams and eating juniper berries
around our house in Yarker. The birds don't seem as disturbed by the -30°C
weather as we are!!

Compiled by,

Bob Sachs Kingston Ont.

<rsachs at cogeco.ca>