Red-necked Grebe at Port Lambton, St. Clair River

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Tue Mar 4 14:11:57 EST 2003

Hi all,
Just by sheer luck I caught sight of the RED-NECKED GREBE in the St. Clair
River off the Port Lambton village dock about 1:30 p.m..  It was moving with
the ice in a very small patch of open water.
The ice was moving today, and lots of open water farther up the river.
There were many more gulls today.  The ducks are spread out all along the
river in big numbers.  I observed an AMERICAN COOT just south of the village
of Sombra--the first I've seen here this winter.

Directions to Sombra and St. Clair River:  Find Hwy 40 which runs N/S
between Sarnia and Wallaceburg.  Turn west on Lambton Rd. 2 (Bentpath Line)
and take to Sombra on the river.  Sombra Bay is right in front of you.  Fawn
Island is
just to the south of the village.  The St. Clair Parkway (Rd. 33) follows
the river along its length.  Port Lambton is at the west end of Lambton Rd.
1 (Lambton Line).

Blake  A. Mann
Wallaceburg,
Chatham-Kent, Ont.