MacGregor Point PP - Sapsucker, Winter Wren, Gray-cheeked Thrush

Fred & Beth Jazvac jazvacfb at log.on.ca
Sun Apr 13 20:13:43 EDT 2003

The Tower Trail in MacGregor Point Provincial Park  always has some
surprises at this time of year.  Walking this trail this morning (part of  a
natural flyway for migrating birds along the Huron Shore), I came across
some good first year birds for myself.  Starting at the south end of the
Tower Trail, I heard and saw a  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  drumming on a tree
about 50 feet south of the Tower.   2 ponds north  of the Tower was a Winter
Wren staying low in the shrubs that were found nearby. On the way back out
about a 100 feet south of the tower was a Gray-cheeked Thrush.

Along the dike which parallels the Bruce-Saugeen Road (the southern border
of the park) was probably the same Eastern Phoebe that has been hanging
around for the last 3  weeks.  Walking back to my car along the road was a
Brown Creeper in the woods on the south side, and nearby were with some
Golden-crowned Kinglets.

The 6th Annual Huron Fringe Birding Festival takes advantage of this natural
flyway for migrating birds and you can be part of the action.  For
information on the festival, check the Friends of MacGregor Provincial Park
web site at http://www.friendsofmacgregor.org

Directions to the Tower Trail:   Drive south of Port Elgin on Hwy 21 to the
Bruce Saugeen Road (Town Line Road)  for approximately 7 K.  Turn right (at
the defunct By-Rite gas station driving towards the Lake.  This road will
turn into the southern boundary of the MacGregor Point Provincial Park which
will be on your right.  The Tower Trail can be accessed by parking near and
walking over the wooden pedestrian bridge that can be seen for the road.

Fred Jazvac
Southampton

Fred & Beth Jazvac <jazvacfb at log.on.ca>