1 Eurasian Wigeon, 40 Lapland Longspur at Lee Brown's

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 00:53:17 EDT 2003

Hi all!
      In spite of the strong winds(and that I should have been home helping
my daughter paint baseboards and trim)- I ventured down to Long Point to-day
and was rewarded with some good birds. There were 11 Gr.Yellowlegs and about
30 Pectoral Sandpiper in the wet area on Con.7 west of Hwy 59. A Vesper
Sparrow south of Rd.60 on 1/4 Line West. The Eurasian Wigeon was on the
"left bank" at Lee Brown's, with many of its American cousins at 12:15 pm. A
flock of about 40 Lapland Longspur, mostly in breeding plumage, flew in to
the corn field just east of the pond and the next field held a Sandhill
Crane.
  At Old Cut woods I had Chipping and Field Sparrow, Carolina Wren, Hermit
Thrush, both Kinglets and 4 Sandhill Crane flew over towards the marsh. At
the "old campground" I had a Fox Sparrow, male Eastern Towhee and both sexes
of Yellow-rumped Warbler.
  Driving out on Hastings Ave I saw 4 Barn Swallow and an adult Bald Eagle
over the tree line. Another 2 Sandhill Crane landed not far from the
roadway. Coming back over the causeway I saw 2 immature Bald Eagles - one
flew right over me at about 50ft and the other was being "escorted" over the
Big Creek marsh by a male N.Harrier.
   A pretty good day - 6 new for the year -much better than painting the
house.
                          Cheers!  Maris

Maris Apse - OFO SALES
511 Chamberlain Lane, Oakville ON L6J 6A2
HOME - 905-338-0318
SCHOOL - 416-393-1510 EXT.20041
FAX - 416-393-8172