Good day for Common Loons over Harrietsville

Dave Martin dave.martin at odyssey.on.ca
Thu Apr 24 12:02:29 EDT 2003

April 23, 2003
Common Loons over Harrietsville, Elgin County

Until today, this year's loon flight has been paltry, at best.  The peak of
the migration has passed and we have only counted 60 loons since early
April, our poorest showing to date in 12 years.  We feared the huge die-off
of loons over the last 4 years on Lake Huron and Lake Erie must have
severely reduced numbers (and probably has). Today, however, there was a
big flight of 111 loons from 7:28 a.m. to 9:01 a.m. with most birds passing
by between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. Although most were in small groups of 1 to 5,
several larger flights went by including groups of 9, 16, 13 and 10.  This
was our 2nd highest count for one day in 12 years of monitoring.  Last
year's big day was April 20 when 364 loons "darkened" the sky.

Other noticeable migrants today were 1 flock of 16 Double-crested
Cormorants and two flocks of Lapland Longspurs totaling 85 birds.

Harrietsville is located in north central Elgin County, about 20 km due
north of Port Bruce on Lake Erie.  The loon migration is on a broad front
and has been detected to the east of us over Ingersoll by Ross Snider and
Komoka to the west of us by Pete Read.  The loons that we see are moving
from southeast to northwest so are likely coming from the Long Point area
and will end up on Lake Huron just north of Kettle Point.

Dave Martin & Linda Wladarski
Harrietsville, ON
dave.martin at odyssey.on.ca

Dave Martin <dave.martin at odyssey.on.ca>