HBMO, Ontario, Canada banding summary - August 30 - September 1, 2003

Allen Chartier amazilia1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 1 15:17:52 EDT 2003

Banders & Birders,

This weekend brought a significant increase in hummingbird, warbler and
thrush numbers to our site, but decreases in Empidonax flycatchers (some of
us are actually disappointed in this).  Including the vailant attempts of
Bob, Carl & Rachel to operate the station today, a rainy Monday Memorial
Day, we were open for a total of 21.50 hours (263.75 Net Hours) over the
weekend.  Daily banding totals included 103 (plus 1 recapture) on Saturday,
59 (plus 2 recaptures) on Sunday, and a lone bird in 2 hours of effort
between raindrops on Monday.  Our single-day record for Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds (previously 14) was broken both days, with 28 banded Saturday
and 16 on Sunday.  This is the largest movement of hummingbirds we've ever
recorded this early in the season.  Saturday's highlights included the
second ever Golden-winged Warbler for the station, and 16 warbler species
total which included the first Cape May, Black-throated Green, Bay-breasted,
Blackpoll (6), Wilson's (3), Common Yellowthroats (2), and American
Redstarts (7) of the season.  The three Red Bats caught in our nets on the
second net run were also quite interesting.  Sunday's highlights included
the season's first Eastern Wood-Pewee, Red-eyed Vireos (4), and Nashville
Warbler.  One of the Red-eyed Vireos was an adult, which may seem
unremarkable, but this is only the 7th adult we've captured here since 1997
(out of 136 banded), and the first one in three years.  Monday's highlights
undoubtedly included getting warm and dry at home!

Butterfly and dragonfly numbers were quite low, with no significant
sightings.  Four Monarchs were tagged on Saturday and Sunday, with good
numbers migrating above the treetops on Saturday.

Photo highlights will be posted over the next couple days on the HBMO
website (www.hbmo.org).

Banding results:

Saturday, August 30, 2003
10.00 hours from 05:00 - 15:00 E.S.T., 125.00 Net Hours.  Temperature was
17-23 Celsius, sky was mostly cloudy to partly cloudy, wind was N @ 3-5
km/hr.  103 birds of 22 species, plus 1 recapture.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 28 (record)
Blue Jay - 1
Carolina Wren - 1
Veery - 2
Swainson's Thrush - 6
Golden-winged Warbler - 1 (second ever for station)
Tennessee Warbler - 12
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 3
Magnolia Warbler - 19
Cape May Warbler - 1 (first of season)
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 1 (first of season)
Bay-breasted Warbler - 1 (first of season)
Blackpoll Warbler - 6 (first of season)
Black-and-white Warbler - 2
American Redstart - 7 (first of season)
Ovenbird - 3
Northern Waterthrush - 1
Mourning Warbler - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 2 (first of season)
Wilson's Warbler - 3 (first of season)
Northern Cardinal - 1

Banders: Allen Chartier, Bob Hall-Brooks, Carl Pascoe
Assistants: Rachel Powless

Sunday, August 31, 2003
9.50 hours from 05:00 - 14:50 E.S.T., 118.75 Net Hours.  Temperature was
12-20 Celsius, sky was mostly cloudy, wind was S @ 3-5 km/hr.  59 birds of
19 species, plus 2 recaptures.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 16
Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1 (first of season)
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1
Blue Jay - 1
Veery - 3
Swainson's Thrush - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - 4 (first of season)
Tennessee Warbler - 1
Nashville Warbler - 1 (first of season)
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 4
Magnolia Warbler - 11
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 2
Blackpoll Warbler - 2
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 3
Ovenbird - 3
Mourning Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 2
American Goldfinch - 1

Banders: Allen Chartier, Carl Pascoe, Bob Hall-Brooks
Assistants: Rachel Powless

Monday, September 1, 2003
2.00 hours from 08:30 - 10:30 E.S.T., 20.00 Net Hours (only 10 nets opened).
Temperature was 14-16 Celsius, sky was overcast and mostly rainy, wind was
NE @ 3-5 km/hr.  1 bird of 1 species.

Magnolia Warbler - 1

Banders: Bob Hall-Brooks, Carl Pascoe
Assistants: Rachel Powless

Holiday Beach Migration Observatory (HBMO) is an organization devoted to
monitoring migration at the Holiday Beach Conservation Area, Essex Co.,
Ontario, administered by the Essex Region Conservation Authority. In
addition to a hawk-watch/passerine count that has been in operation since
1974, HBMO operates three banding stations, two for raptors (since 1987) and
one for passerines and hummingbirds (since 1997). The Holiday Beach
Conservation Area was designated an Important Bird Area by Conservation
International in 2000.

Lat: 42-01'54.1" Long: 083-02'41.6"

Website: www.hbmo.org

Allen Chartier