High Park Hawk Watch up to Sept 7

Howard Shapiro cathartes at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 8 11:24:42 EDT 2003

This is an official posting of the High Park Hawk Watch

The High Park Hawk Watch completed its first week of 'official'
observation. On our two best days this week we observed 116 and 96 total
raptors on Sept 4th and 5th respectively. On these two days slightly
over half of the migrating raptors were Sharp-shinned hawks and about
one quarter were American kestrels. The following are the totals for the
year so far.

	 Sept. 4	Sept. 5	Aug. 25-31	Sept. 1-7	Year to
Date
TV		 -		2		 0		 2
2
OS  	 	 7		-		 4		 7
11
BE  	 	 1		-		 1		 1
2
NH		 -		1		 -		 1
1
SS 		69	     64		52	     193	     245
CH 	 	 -		1		 3		 3
6
BW 	 	 5		1		 7		 6
13
RT		 4		5		17		 9
26
AK 	 	29	     21		 6		51
57
PF	 	 1		1		 1		 2
3
UR  	 	 -		-		 6		 1
7
Total      116	     96	      97	     276	     373

High Park Site Description
High Park is a 400 acre wooded park dominated by a Black Oak
Savannah located just west of Downtown Toronto. The park is
operated by the City of Toronto Parks Department.

The Count site (Hawk Hill) is located on a small hill
at the north end of the Grenadier Restaurant parking lot.

It is located about 1.5km (1 mile) north of Lake Ontario, at an
elevation of 110 metres above sea level and 38 metres above Lake
Ontario. The site location is N 43 degrees 37 minutes 03.8 seconds,
W 79 degrees 28 minutes 56.5 seconds. This station is at the highest
point and near the centre of the park; a steep slope that descends
to a large pond is immediately west of the station.
Full time counts have been recorded here since 1993.

The following are partners in our raptor migration monitoring in the
Greater Toronto Region: City of Toronto Parks and Culture Department,
Toronto Ornithological Club, and Local Naturalist's Clubs.

More information including a summary of our past observations and
observations for each day of this season is available at:

http://www.gtrw.ca

Howard Shapiro
Howard.shapiro at utoronto.ca

"Howard Shapiro" <cathartes at sympatico.ca>