Western Sandpiper at Grimsby

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 9 19:37:09 EDT 2003

Hi Ontbirders,

Today around 12 noon we found a juvenile Western Sandpiper at the former
Grimsby/Winona sewage lagoons. It was in the northmost lagoon, now drawn
down, with Semipalmated Sandpipers and a good variety of shorebirds. It was
seen later by many other birders.

Directions: The lagoons are on the north side of Winston Road between the
Cassandra Blvd and 50 Road exits from the QEW, between the big field with
electrical/radio towers and the Winona Rifle Range.

Today also was a fine day at Van Wagners Beach in Hamilton. We saw several
adult and juvenile Parasitic Jaegers, juvenile Sabine's Gull and juvenile
Black-legged Kittiwake.

Good birding,

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway

Jean Iron