more Hudsonian Godwits at Blenheim Lagoons

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sat Sep 27 15:39:32 EDT 2003

Hi birders.
After spending the morning at Point Pelee, I stopped at Blenheim.  There
were 4 HUDSONIAN GODWITS in pond 5 as well as a single DUNLIN and several
Greater Yellowlegs.
Pelee had some activity at the tip this morning, although nothing unusual.
A few Barn Swallows and a Cliff Swallow were flying off the tip, as well as
a few R. T. hummingbirds.  There were also a few Merlins that flew out into
the lake for a bit, and a couple of Peregrines also were seen at the tip.
There were a few warblers up the east beach (at least 8 species), as well as
an immature White-crowned Sparrow.  Several Juncos were in the parking lot
first thing in the morning.

Lagoon directions:  Blenheim is located between Chatham and Rondeau
Provincial
Park.  Exit the 401 at what they used to call Hwy. 40, exit 90.
Go south to Blenheim.  At the main street in Blenheim (stop light) turn
right/west.
Go out of Blenheim on this road (old Hwy.3,
now called the Talbot Trail) for approx. 1.5  km.  Turn right (north) on
Lagoon
Rd. (at carwash) and continue north 1 km. to the lagoons.  I remind you that
you should have a permit from the town office (35 Talbot St.) located in
Blenheim.

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg,
Chatham-Kent, Ont.