Bluebirds, Siskins, GOLDEN EAGLE, 5 Goshawks among 745 migrant raptors at Cranberry-Oct.22

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Oct 22 17:51:22 EDT 2003

The cold north winds brought 12 observers to the Cranberry Marsh RW platform
today/Oct.22 to enjoy all manner of birds, many flying very close to us.
Dennis Barry picked up the singing of Bluebirds---indeed, we saw 10 Eastern
Bluebirds flying about; he also picked up 2 Pine Siskins.
I wish all could have seen the low-flying purposeful flight of 5 N.Goshawks.
The raptors came in on 3 lines over a period of 6 hours, starting at 0915.
At 1215 the dihedral of a GOLDEN EAGLE was noted behind us. So many raptors
were pushed to the lakefront, then doubling back into the northerly winds to
fly westerly.

Today --  Oct.22, with TOTAL since Aug. 21 in brackets:

TURKEY VULTURE--   305 (2209)
OSPREY                    -    --    (122)
BALD EAGLE            -    --    (31)
N.HARRIER                -    11    (229)
SHARP-SHINNED    -    64    (1873)
COOPER'S                -    2    (71)
N.GOSHAWK            -    5    (11)
RED-SHOULDERED    -    28    (162)
BROAD-WINGED        -    --    (276)
RED-TAILED                -    305    (818)
ROUGH-LEGGED        -    3    (13)
GOLDEN EAGLE        -    1    (2)
AM.KESTREL            -    4    (583)
MERLIN                        -  --    (47)
PEREGRINE                -    --    (29)
UNIDENTIFIED        -    17    (239)
TOTAL                    -    745    (6715)

Cranberry Marsh is at the foot of Hall's Rd., accessed south from Victoria
St. in southwest Whitby.

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW

"Doug Lockrey" <lockrey33 at rogers.com>

guidelines.