Band-tailed Pigeon in London

Peter Read read4 at execulink.com
Fri Nov 28 13:14:21 EST 2003

Hi there,
Yesterday between 10 and 12 noon, an adult Band-tailed Pigeon came to a
feeder in London, Ontario. I got the call from the owner of the property,
but try as I might, with help from others, could not relocate the bird to
confirm in the pm. Since this is a relatively novice birder, wanted to make
sure of the species and access to the area, before putting it out. With all
the rain, conditions for looking are terrible.
This morning a couple of watchers had the bird at the feeder again, between
10 and 12 noon. It is indeed an adult Band-tailed Pigeon. After much
discussion with the older woman, and her neighbours, it was decided that we
could put it on the hotline, but with certain restrictions. I said our
birders would understand and do their best to comply. The neighbour, who is
giving access, reminds us that it is private property, and any liability
(skinned knees, etc) are our responsibility.
To see if the bird is still in the area call me, Pete Read at 519-472-2887
(cell 519-871-1752), or Anne White at 519-457-6586.

MORE DETAILS
Our host, Jerri Meacham, has a husband in the hospital. She continues to
visit him, so please don't disturb her at 120 Lynngate.  Call one of the
above numbers to find out info. The neighbourhood is quiet and residential,
all areas are private.
The bird comes IRREGULARLY to the feeders in the back of 120, only seen
between 10 am and 12 noon so far, and is VERY skittish, that's why you
should go to the neighbours, where I have arranged for you to be. Please do
not wander onto the lawns. The bird could be visible roosting in the nearby
trees and it sits quite high. I have been in touch with some of the other
neighbours but no other permission has been gained so far. Since the bird
has only been seen between 10 and 12, and due to the circumstances, please
try to be there only during that time period. If situations change, we will
try to get access at other times. We have to be respectful of Jerri and her
neighbourhood, as I know we will be, to continue to enjoy access.
I plan to be there tomorrow and likely Sunday, to help with access. Ann and
I will have a guestbook, so please sign if you have time and we will give it
to Jerri as a thanks. Let's hope that the bird remains for our London CBC.

Pete Read

Directions to access the area...

If from Toronto...come west on 401, and take the 402 towards Sarnia,
exitting very soon at the Wonderland exit(100) to London, and head north.
About 3-4km north on Wonderland is the Westmount Mall, a large sprawling
mall on the west side of the road. Keep going north just past the mall to a
streetlight indicating Village Green Avenue(one light before Commissioners
road). Turn left, to the west and proceed for about 4 streets, some from
left, some from right, till you get to Lynngate Place. Do not park on this
quiet street. Park on the north(right) side of Village Green. Walk up
Lynngate Place to number 120. Go to the RIGHT side of the house, and walk up
the driveway of the nextdoor neighbour's house, along the stone path to the
large patio, at the back of that house. STAY OFF wet grass.

Coming from west, come east on 401 to Highway 4, and head north to the 402,
then east to Wonderland exit(100), turning north . About 3-4km north on
Wonderland is the Westmount Mall, a large sprawling mall. Keep going north
just past the mall to a streetlight indicating Village Green Avenue(one
light before Commissioners road). Turn left, to the west and proceed for
about 4 streets, some from left, some from right, till you get to Lynngate
Place. Do not park on this quiet street. Park on the north(right) side of
Village Green.Walk up Lynngate Place to number 120. Go to the RIGHT side of
the house, and walk up the driveway of the nextdoor neighbour's house, along
the stone path to the large patio, at the back of that house. STAY OFF wet
grass.

>From London, Village Green is one light south of intersection of
Commissioners and Wonderland. Go west (right) about 4 streets and park on
Village Green. Walk up Lynngate Place to number 120. Go to the RIGHT side of
the house, and walk up the driveway of the nextdoor neighbour's house, along
the stone path to their large patio, at the back of that house. STAY OFF wet
grass.

"Peter Read" <read4 at execulink.com>

guidelines.