Ottawa - Snowy Owl, Short-eared Owls

eve ticknor sandbird at magma.ca
Thu Jan 29 23:27:07 EST 2004

Hello,

This afternoon I found a heavily barred Snowy Owl on Brownlee Rd about 1/2
way between Eagleson and Shea Rds (west side of town).  It was on the north
side in a cut corn field, sitting on a fence post, the kind that snow fences
are usually attached to.  It was just sitting and looking around it.

I have had a bit more information regarding the Short-eared Owls south of
the Ottawa Airport, and believe the 6 - 7 owls reported just before
Christmas are still in that area.  The vole population is quite substantial
and several more owls have been seen there, in the area bounded by Earl
Armstrong, Bowesville, Leitrim and Limebank Rds.

For directions to the above see  http://www.ofnc.ca/birding or contact me
privately.

Cheers, Eve

-Eve Ticknor
Coordinator, OFNC Peregrine Falcon Watch
38-9 Gillespie Cres.
Ottawa, Ontario, K1V 9T5
Canada
(613) 737-7551
sandbird at magma.ca
http://www.ofnc.ca

"Without birds, would we humans ever have had the imagination to fly or
sing?"

eve ticknor <sandbird at magma.ca>

guidelines.