Bohemians and Pine Grosbeaks in Minden

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 30 19:42:44 EST 2004

On January 22, Al Sinclair reported to Ontbirds that he and Peter and Susan
Bennett saw 2 Bohemian Waxwings and 7 Pine Grosbeaks feeding in a crabapple
tree in Minden. At noon yesterday (Thursday) I checked the same tree and
there were 11 Pine Grosbeaks (mostly females) and 14 Bohemian Waxwings
taking turns feeding on the small crabapples. Also yesterday, an adult Bald
Eagle flew south low along the Gull River in Minden between Tim Hortons on
Highway 35 and the river. During a quick check today, I saw 35 Evening
Grosbeaks (mostly males) near the crabapple tree. Evenings don't feed on
crabapples. The Bohemians and Pines were probably nearby as there are
scattered crabapple trees in Minden on both sides of the river. There also
are several bird feeders in town.

Directions: Minden is 175 km by car northeast of Toronto. From Highway 35
exit Main Street and go about 1 km to the bridge. The small crabapple tree
is over the bridge on the right about 30 metres. Also check nearby streets.

Happy finch and waxwing watching,

Ron Pittaway
Minden and Toronto

Jean Iron <jeaniron at sympatico.ca>