RBG Arboretum - Carolina Wren & Brown Thrasher

Frank Morley fsmor at netinc.ca
Fri Jan 30 21:24:15 EST 2004

At the RBG Arboretum, Hamilton, Fri. Jan. 30 morning was as productive as
Fri. Jan. 23 morning.  Today, the 30th, during our "seed sharer" walk, we
had a Brown Thrasher come to the feed that was dropped at the markers
intersecting the MacDonnell and Capt'n Cootes Trails.  Further along the
Capt'n Cootes at the George North  Obs. Tower sign, we approached a Carolina
Wren gleaning what it could, from the empty feeder.  In the open habitat
there were very few birds.  In the mature forested areas, there was much
activity as we  filled the feeders and then retreated to watch the
"regulars" - Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jay,
Cedar Waxwing, Northern Cardinal, American Tree Sparrow, White-throated
Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bellied
Woodpecker.  Last Fri. the 23rd , we had all of the above, except the wren,
on the Capt'n Cootes Trail as well as Tufted Titmouse, and Pileated
Woodpecker; and over the Pinetum Trail by the RR tracks, a mature Bald Eagle
along with some American Robins .  We park at Raspberry House and  head
west, doing a long loop (2 hours) around the Arboretum, dragging a toboggan
with seed and feed for the designated feeders.  A few of the Chickadees had
some "different" dark markings which will be checked out in warmer times.
Observers:  Pam Watts and Frank Morley

Frank Morley
Hamilton, ON fsmor at netinc.ca

The Royal Botannical Gardens Arboretum is located on the north side of
Cootes Paradise in western Hamilton, and can be accessed from Old Guelph
Road, between York Blvd. Hamilton,  and York Road Dundas.

"Frank Morley" <fsmor at netinc.ca>

guidelines.