Sightings Hillman Marsh

Ware Dean peleeisbirder at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:08:38 EST 2004

Birders,

Dave Bracken sighting of a Great Blue Heron on ice locked Pelee Island
prompted me to go in search of this specie. I set out to frozen Hillman
Marsh to see what I could find and within minutes into my search I flushed 4
birds from a mixture of Cattails and Sedge type Grasses. Then another bird
and then 2 more were spotted with a total of 7 . I immediately walked to the
spot where the Herons had been to find there tracks littering the area. As I
followed a few sets it seems they were hunting for mice even walking under
dogwood and rose bushes. Five of the birds flew into the sun so I did not
see what plumage they were but the remaining 2 were basic. One basic bird
was also found dead.

etc: Long-eared Owl
      Red-Shouldered Hawk (adult)
      N.Pintail (female)
      Red-bellied Woodpecker (male)
      White-breasted Nuthatch
Last Sunday Jan. 25  Wheatley PP
Hairy Woodpecker (male)  uncommon bird in these parts!
Common Yellowthroat Warbler

Hillman is located 5km north of Point Pelee.

Good Birding,

Dean Ware
Wheatley ON.
peleeisbirder at hotmail.com