Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - February 19, 2004

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 19 17:20:34 EST 2004

Good afternoon and welcome to the HNC birding hotline report:

BARROW'S GOLDENEYE
WILSONS SNIPE
Great Blue Heron
King Eider
Ring-necked Duck
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Pied-billed Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
N. Shoveler
N. Pintail
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Peregrine Falcon
Gray Partridge
Ruffed Grouse
Wild Turkey
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Long-eared Owl
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Northern Shrike
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Brown Creeper
Tufted Titmouse
Winter Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow-rumped Warbler
White-crowned Sparrow (subspecies gambelii)
White-throated Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Snow Bunting
Purple Finch
Pine Siskin
Common Redpoll

A very hearty congratulations this week to Anthony Miller winner of the Ross
Thompson Trophy for his efforts in finding over 270 species of birds in
Ontario last year.  Congratulations also go to Laina Don who was runner up.
We look forward to seeing how Laina and other members of our under 18
birders group do in their quest to win the Ross Thompson trophy this year.
It is certainly an encouragement to see these young keen birders
enthusiastically tick species off their lists each year.

Winter lingers on in the area making things quiet, saving our energy and
giving us a rest period before the invigorating experience of migration yet
to come.  This week was a relatively quiet week again with much of the same
birds showing up in various places in the Hamilton Area.

The WILSON'S SNIPE was reloated at Taquanyah C.A. as well as the Great Blue
Heron both seen last Sunday.

The lake continues to be fruitful for species of ducks and scoters.  Some
people have had a chance to view the BARROW'S GOLDENEYE this week off of
Jones Road which is east of Fruitland Road.  The King Eiders have also
appeared along the lakeshore this week being reported from Sayers Park and
Millen Road.  Both species have been seen at various distances giving great
views on one day and microscopic views on other days.  Some of us continue
our quest to find these elusive birds and have missed it by only five
minutes, but who's bitter.  All three scoters have appeared this week off of
Sayers Park and Fruitland Road.  The Ring-necked Ducks continue to be seen
at the back of the Venture Inn and in Windermere Basin.  A Canvasback was
reported from this location.  Windermere Basin and the Bay have also been
good for Ruddy Duck, Northern Pintail, Pied-billed Grebe, Red-necked Grebe
and Hooded Merganser.  White-winged gulls mostly Glaucous are being reported
regularly on the ice in the bay and on the lake.  I had a lovely Glaucous
Gull fly over Felker's Falls Conservation Area up on the escarpement last
Saturday.  Of note, 2 adult Bald Eagles were seen sitting on the ice in the
bay last Saturday.

Raptors seen this week have been Rough-legged Hawks in Hamilton and
Flamborough, a Peregrine Falcon still being seen around the lift bridge and
a Sharp-shinned Hawk having lunch at a local Hamilton feeder.

Long-eared Owls are still being seen near the lift bridge.  There have been
up to four birds present.  They are extremely good at camouflaging and
birders are asked to respect the distance at which they view these birds.
Another camouflage artist being spotted this week was a flock of six Gray
Partridge at the Brantford airport.

This weeks favorite bird has been Northern Shrike. Two were reported from a
yard in Bronte, I had one on the 4th concession and Hwy 8, one on Concession
8, and one seen carrying off a house finch in a Mississauga back yard.

This week at Patterson Tract located on 4th Concession just past Woodhill
Road, Purple Finch, Cedar Waxwing, American Robin, Hermit Thrush, Ruffed
Grouse, Northern Flicker, Golden-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warbler
have all been reported from this site.  A new place for me to visit there
seems to be lots of berries here for birds to feed on.

Hendrie Valley continues to be reliable for Brown Thrasher, Brown Creeper,
Winter Wren, Gray Catbird, Fox Sparrow, and White-throated Sparrow .  The
RBG trails leading from the Arboretum also continue to produce with
Pileated, Red-bellied, Hairy and Downy Woodpecker along with Tufted
Titmouse, White-crowned Sparrow (subspecies gambelii)(located just west of
the Arboretum), and Brown Thrasher.

Feeder birds reported this week include Ruffed Grouse, Common Raven
(flyover, Pine Siskin, Common Redpolls and Purple Finch.  The end of
February is quite often time for movement of winter finches down from the
north to search for food or up from the south on the way back so keep those
feeders stocked!

That's it for this week. I have enjoyed the emails of sightings of the area,
keep them coming!

Cheers,
Cheryl Edgecombe

Hamilton Naturalists' Club