Sightings Pelee Area

Ware Dean peleeisbirder at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:42:21 EST 2004

Birders,

A hint of spring was in the air today with some new migrants!

- Killdeer- a single bird was being chased by a adult Red-shoulder Hawk
-Muddy Creek

-12 or more breeding plumaged Red-wing blackbird males- onion fields-
although I heard my first singing last weekend. Breeding plumaged Great Blue
Heron also last weekend.

Waterfowl: Due to strong westwinds most of the ice that was along the east
shores has now moved out into the lake. With this said  the numbers of
Common Mergs & Common Goldeneye have increased significantly. With smaller
numbers of Redhead,Gr.Scaup and Red- breasted Mergs.
also to note was a single female White-winged Scoter(Wheatley Harbour),
Ruddy Duck (Hillman Marsh), 3 Gadwall (Con.D) and 2 Hooded Mergs(Muddy
Creek).

Gulls- A single adult "white winged Gull" flew through my scope today and
the very quick observation lead me to lean towards Iceland.(Hillman Beach)

Glaucous Gull- a 2nd yr. bird was at Wheatley Harbour along with 5 Great-
black Blacked Gulls.

good birding,

Dean Ware
Wheatley, ON.