Presqu'ile waterfowl numbers increasing - 25 Feb 04

Doug McRae rdmcrae at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 25 11:12:33 EST 2004

Hello Ontbirders

Once again Bruce Di Labio and I did a quick check of Presqu'ile Bay and
along the lakeshore from Chatterton Pt. to the lighthouse.  The Bay is
still mostly frozen with a finger of open water reaching to the Customs
Dock.  Today most ducks were in large rafts at the mouth of Presqu'ile
Bay and offshore from Chatterton Pt and the staffhouse.

186 Mute Swan
48 Canada Goose
4 Gadwall
1 American Wigeon
126 Canvasback
322 Redhead
11,000 Greater Scaup - big increase from a few days ago (just for the
record, the number is an actual estimate)
3 W-w Scoter
2470 Long-t Duck
92 Bufflehead
445 Com. Goldeneye
2 Glaucous Gull (1 1st year, 1 adult)
56 Am. Robin - in a flock near the Calf Pasture, not migrants but some
singing anyway.
1 Mink - visible on the far shore of Presqu'ile Bay as seen from the
Customs Dock

Finally, as I write this a mixed waxwing flock with about 50 Bohemians
just passed through my yard at the north end of Brighton!

Directions:  Presqu'ile is best reached by exiting Hwy 401 at Hwy 30
(the Brighton exit) and follow #30 south through Brighton.  Watch for
and follow the Provincial Park signs once in town.

Doug and Bruce

Doug McRae <rdmcrae at sympatico.ca>

guidelines.