York Region: Tundra Swans (NO), Snowy Owls and an X Shrike

Gene Denzel lezned at yorku.ca
Sat Mar 13 18:02:45 EST 2004

Given the beautiful (if chilly) day, and the forecast of grubby weather
tomorrow, we decided to take off this afternoon to follow up on Ron
Flemings sightings. We had no luck with the tundra swans (not even any
geese there!), but did better up on Ravenshoe Rd where we found (near
the Jade Green Farm road going N from Ravenshoe) one pure white snowy
to the North, and (presumably one of Ron's) a heavily spotted one to
the South. One only needed to swivel the scope. The one to the North
stretched its wings several times, and then flew a short distance to
right alongside the farm road.

While checking around, a couple of horned larks flew in to peck around
in a nearby driveway, giving very good views, and then we had a  Shrike
acting like a flycatcher across the road!  (This bird then flew into an
evergreen and was hidden, and I tried whistling to it, and it gave a
series of hard jeering calls in response, before flying off.) My wife
had a better angle and got her binoc's on it while it was in the tree,
and she thinks loggerhead, which is consistent with the call I heard.
Still, would they be migrating this early?
(See Ron's directions below.)