[Ontbirds] CHUKAR on top of escarpment near Beamsville

David & Elizabeth Akitt diabax1 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:16:00 EST 2004

We have been watching a pair of Chukar (Alectoris chukar) feeding on grasses
in our side yard for the past 1 hour and 15 min beginning at 3:45 pm friday
april 2.  We are located on top of the niagara escarpment just above
Beamsville in an open location surrounded by hundreds of acres of grape
vineyards.  As I post this one Chukar remains but we have lost sight of his
mate.  If interested in viewing phone us first to confirm the bird(s) is/are
still  present.
Directions: QEW to Ontario St. Beamsville.  South on Ontario St to end at
stop light at King St.,   Beamsville.  Left (east) on King St for 100yards
to first right which is Moun tain Street.  Turn right onto mountain street
and follow south up the escarpment untill you come to a 4-way stop at Fly
Road.  Turn right (west) onto fly road and go about 1/2 km look for a large
white house with 7 dormers on the right (north) side of Fly Rd (#5323).  The
bird(s) are in the west side yard in the
lee of the cedar hedge.
David & Elizabeth Akitt
5323 Fly Road, Beamsville, Ont.
905-563-6849