[Ontbirds] Black-backed Woodpecker in Toronto

Mark Cranford mark.cranford at ofo.ca
Sat Apr 3 05:57:06 EST 2004

Posting for Carol Horner

Hello Birders

Hoping for a lifer, I headed down to Serena Gundy park as soon as I could
get away from work today. When I arrived at the parking lot the
BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER was already scoped out (thanks John). It had moved
from it's prior location over the bridge to the west, and was now across
the road from the east end of the parking lot, working a couple of dead
pines. Several of us viewed the bird in this location between 4 and 5 pm
today (Apr 2), and it was still there when we left.

Directions:

The entrance to the park is on the west side of Leslie St, just north of
Eglinton Ave. From the Don Valley Parkway exit at Eglinton Ave. and go west
to Leslie, turn right then a quick left into the park. The sign says
Wilkett Creek Park and Sunnybrook Park. When the road splits keep right and
follow the signs for Serena Gundy park. The parking lot is on the west side
of the road. This afternoon the bird was to the east of the parking lot,
but it was originally seen across the bridge at the west end of the parking
lot, near the washrooms.

Carol

Carol Horner
Toronto, Ontario, Canada