[Ontbirds] Access to Port Perry lagoons

Geoff Carpentier geoffcarpentier at rogers.com
Sat Apr 3 18:11:52 EST 2004

Durham Region advised me that they have the lagoon access permits ready to
purchase. Same deal as last year - $5.00 for the permit - available only at
the Waste Transfer Station near Port Perry. Please be advised that Durham
staff suggested to me that last year some people may have been sharing the
passcode to the gate and not buying their own permit. If this is correct,
please stop! Durham Region is still very sensitive about this issue and will
be policing [so I'm told] the site periodically. Our entry to the site is
based on their good graces only.

To obtain a permit, you must go in person [no proxies] to the Port Perry
Waste Transfer Station, located at 1623 Reach Road, Port Perry. Go north of
town on Hwy 12, to Regional Rd 8 [= Reach Road] and turn right [east] to the
Transfer Station [on your left]. Stop at the gatehouse and you can buy your
permit from Tuesday to Saturday between 8:00 a.m. and  4 p.m. only.
905-985-7973.

To reach the lagoons from here, back track to Hwy 12 and go north to the
next street Concession 8 [don't be confused by the similarity in the names -
it is a different road than Regional Road 8] and go east and follow it over
a bridge and past a chain link fence to the second gate. The lock box to
enter the lagoons is located at this gate.

Good luck and enjoy the lagoons!

Geoff Carpentier
Ajax, Ontario