[Ontbirds] Presqu'ile Barrow's, 8 Rt Loon, A Bittern, Brighton Wc Sparrow

Doug McRae rdmcrae at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 3 17:52:02 EST 2004

Hi Ontbirders,

In addition to the male Barrow's Goldeneye, I also had an American
Bittern on the Marsh Boardwalk, a first-winter Iceland Gull on
Sebastopol Pt., plus 8 "winter" Red-throated Loons off Beach 1.  The
loons are often only possible to see when it is quite calm (early in the
morning is often the best time) as they can be some distance out.  The
goldeneye was with a group of a dozen or so Commons and was most often
swimming just offshore from Gull Island in line with duck hunting blind
number 16 (left side of island) or up to two binocular fields left of
the blind.  There are only about four previous park records in spite of
substantial waterbird coverage.

Also, this morning an immature White-crowned Sparrow turned up at my
feeder in Brighton, even singing occasionally.  I am quite certain it
didn't winter in  my yard but it seems far to early for a real migrant
to be here.  Perhaps it wintered nearby and was "dislodged" by warm
weather?

Cheers,

Doug McRae
P.O. Box 3010
Brighton, Ontario
K0K 1H0

Directions:  Presqu'ile is best reached by taking the Cty. Rd. 30 exit
from Hwy. 401, and following it south through the town of Brighton, then
follow park signs to Presqu'ile.  Note that the main streets in Brighton
are about to be paved so they are somewhat dug up and muddy right now.