[Ontbirds] YES Harlequin Ducks, NO Black-backed Woodpecker, No Barrow's Goldeneye

Mike Boyd boydm at uoguelph.ca
Sun Apr 4 13:37:20 EDT 2004

Dear Fellow Birders,

I checked for the Black-backed Woodpecker this morning and I had no luck
finding it; neither did a couple I had spoken with when I arrived there.

The Harlequin Ducks were both present in Ben Machree park, however they were
seen coming out of Port Credit Harbour and slowy moving along the breakwall
west. Checking the harbour might be a good idea if they are not at the park.
Also just offshore from the harbour were about 250 Tree Swallows skimming just
over the water for insects.

I then tried for the Barrow's Goldeneye at LaSalle Marina and had no luck
looking for it. Present were 3 Horned Grebes and a Red-necked Grebe among other
waterfowl.

Directions: Woodpecker (from Carol Horner) - The entrance to the park is on the
west side of Leslie St, just north of Eglinton Ave. From the Don Valley Parkway
exit at Eglinton Ave. and go west to Leslie, turn right then a quick left into
the park. The sign says Wilkett Creek Park and Sunnybrook Park. When the road
splits keep right and follow the signs for Serena Gundy park. The parking lot
is on the west side of the road. This afternoon the bird was to the east of the
parking lot, but it was originally seen across the bridge at the west end of
the parking lot, near the washrooms.

Harlequin Ducks - Exit the QEW at Mississauga Rd (Mississauga) and follow it
south to Lakeshore Rd and turn right. Follow it until Maple St and turn left
and this road deadends at Ben Machree Park.

Goldeneye - Exit the QEW at Northshore Blvd (Burlington) and follow it west
until you reach Waterdown Rd and make a left and it goes all the day down to
the Marina.

Mike Boyd
Oakville, Ontario