[Ontbirds] Hamilton Birding Report - Thursday, April 15th, 2004

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Apr 15 19:43:22 EDT 2004

At 7:30 p.m. on Thursday April 8th, 2004 this is the Hamilton Naturalists
Club
Birding Report

VARIED THRUSH
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET
SAVANNAH SPARROW
VESPER SPARROW
Common Loon
Red-necked Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Harlequin Duck
Northern Shoveler
Wood Duck
Ring-necked Duck
Green-winged Teal
Northern Harrier
Osprey
Turkey Vulture
Wild Turkey
Ring necked Pheasant
Wilson's Snipe
Caspian Tern
Short-eared Owl
Eastern Phoebe
Hermit Thrush
Tree Swallow
Eastern Meadowlark
Fox Sparrow
Pine Siskin
Purple Finch

Migration continues to trickle through at an easy pace with this weeks
migrants including Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Vesper
Sparrow and the increasing numbers of Double-crested Cormorants and Caspian
Tern.

The bird of the week was clearly the VARIED THRUSH in Flamborough.  I have
come under some scrutiny over my lack of reporting this bird last week.  At
the time of the report, I did not have permission as of yet to post this
bird on the hotline by the owner.  This permission,in my opinion, was
necessary out of respect for the owner and their neighbours given the
location of the property.  My intention was not to deny other birders out of
the Hamilton area a potential lifer but only to enforce birding edicate that
I felt was necessary in this case.

That being said, the bird continues to be seen on Westover Road, north of
the 8th Concession as of today however patience is necessary.  PLEASE
respect the guidelines set by the owner (see below). I would like to thank
Paul on our behalf for his generosity in sharing this great find.  Any
comments are welcome, please email me privately.

As expected YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS arrived this week with some yard
reports, one being seen in the location of the Varied Thush and one at
Shoreacres/Palletta Park.  The feeder at the Varied Thrush site also
continues to host Pine Siskins and a couple of Fox Sparrows.

The Niagara Peninsula Hawk Watch has been rather quiet this week with Turkey
Vultures being seen coming through in numbers. As per Mike Streets posting
"The warm weather rolling into our area today should bring the first
Broad-winged Hawks of 2004. The Niagara Peninsula Hawkwatch will
assistbirders in learning more about birds of prey by holding Raptor
Identification Workshops from 10AM-3PM this Saturday and Sunday, April
17-18th.  This weatherwise is supposed to be a warm weekend and would be a
worthwhile event to attend. Other birds reported this week from Beamer
include Common Loon, Wild Turkey, Eastern Pheobe
and Purple Finch.  Another good sighting of raptors this week was a pair of
Osprey back on the nesting platform at Mountsberg Conservation Area.

Caspian Terns are in in numbers this week and first reports of Monday have
only increased as more than 40 birds were seen on Centre Island visible off
of Eastport Road.  Double-crested Cormorants are also increasing in numbers
here and at various spots along the waterfront and Tollgate Ponds.

The area known as Saltfleet continues to be productive this week.
Short-eared Owls continue to be reported from the 10th Concession south of
Ridge Road with up to 12 being seen in a field south of the tracks.  At dusk
they can be spotted from the side of the road on the 10th concession both
north and south of the tracks.  Northern Harriers are also seen at this
location.  Both Wild Turkey and Pheasant were heard at this location at
dawn.  Many winnowing Wilsons Snipe have been reported from 5th Concession,
10th Concession, 11th Concession and Kemp Road west of Mountain Road (seen
today).  A Pied-billed Grebe and Ring-necked Ducks were present in the
Quarry Pond off of Green Mountain Road between the 10th and 11th concession.
Up in this area, on Bowslaugh Road, 2 VESPER SPARROWS were seen.  While
cruising the area, Tree Swallows seem to be more numerous.

Grimsby Sewage Lagoons were visited by myself this afternoon.  Among the
birds seen were Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Eastern Meadowlark and
SAVANNAH SPARROW.  People entering the property which is located east of 50
Point Conservation area are asked to park at the shed located on the west
side and walk in from behind the shed as to not disturb the homeowner on the
east side of the property.  Please also respect the No Trespassing Signs
that are posted from the Ministry of National Defence as we are in
negotiations of obtaining this property for a shorebird habitat/wetland and
do not wish to jeopardize our efforts.

Ducks of interest this week include the 2 Harlequin Ducks still being
reported off of Ben Macree Park in Mississauga and many Red-necked Grebes
being seen at various spots along the lake such as Bronte Harbour and
Shoreacres/Paletta Park in Burlington. A pair of Wood Ducks were reported
from the Hendrie Valley in the marshy are this week.

A single RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET was seen at Shell Park this week, with surely
more numbers to come in the following week(s). A yard report of a Hermit
Thrush could be an early migrant, look for more of these passing through.

That's the scoop for this week, the warm weather this weekend will encourage
us to get out and about and enjoy the migrants.

Good birding
Cheryl Edgecombe

Hamilton Naturalists' Club

GUIDELINES FOR VARIED THRUSH

Please stay to the side of the road to avoid interfering with the local
traffic and be careful, the traffic can be faster than might be expected on
a dead end road. Also please avoid walking on the wood chips, there are
spring ephemerals there. In years past there have been daytime "break-ins"
and so neighbours are understandably "interested" in strange cars on the
road. Don't be surprised if they ask questions. To avoid interfering with
traffic there is room for a couple of cars in the driveway but please keep
to the right to maintain clear access to the left garage door.

The thrush can be seen from the road and the driveway.  Please do not walk
over the yard and PLEASE stay off of all mulched areas.  Thank you.