[Ontbirds] Upland and Spotted Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs etc.

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 18 23:02:36 EDT 2004

  Hi all!
          After this thunderstormy morning, Penny, Emi and I went for a
great brunch and then 'kitchen counter shopping' at IKEA in Burlington.
About 3p.m. it was clearing nicely, so we decided to take a little drive in
the country - not really birding(I had even left my bins and scope in the
Volvo). It was still very foggy near the lake, but eventually we ended up on
10th.Concession Rd. heading towards Ridge Road. Just north of the RR tracks
we had 2 Upland Sandpipers - Penny even got 2 pictures of 1 on a fencepost,
about 10ft from the window.
        As Ridge Road was very foggy, we headed south on Bowslaugh,  and
then over to the 11th.Concession, where we had 2 Wilson's Snipe again just
north of the tracks. Still running into fog patches we headed for Lake Erie,
but did not find much of interest - lots of Bonaparte's Gulls and 1 Horned
Grebe - but no shorebirds other than Killdeer.
        We drove along the lake west to Selkirk Road and then headed home on
Hwy.#6. After a pitstop at Hagersville Tim Horton's, I spotted a Spotted
Sandpiper just south of Willowgrove and Emi found a Northern Rough-winged
Swallow at the bridge.  Carrying on towards Caledonia, in the wet area just
before the curve we saw a Lesser Yellowlegs - 3 first of year shorebirds and
a swallow - not bad for not even trying too hard.
         If anyone needs more directions please e-mail me directly. I have
to get back to the second overtime period - the Leafs need me!!

Cheers!

Maris Apse - OFO SALES
511 Chamberlain Lane
Oakville ON L6J 6A2