[Ontbirds] Kingston Field Naturalists' Sightings for week ending Apr. 23

Bob Sachs rsachs at cogeco.ca
Fri Apr 23 16:16:11 EDT 2004

Report to OntBirds, from the reported week's sightings for the Kingston
Region.
Page numbers and location Quadrants noted in square brackets [...], are for
named sites. They refer to the MapArt Publishing "Ontario Road Atlas, 2003
Edition".
Page numbers and Quadrants in Open Brace brackets {.....} are for locations
requiring more detail. They refer to MapArt Deluxe Street Atlas of Eastern &
Northern Ontario, 1st Edition.

This is a copy of the Apr. 23, '04, KFN Phone Line script, with added detail
for locations:

                        PRINCE EDWARD POINT [page 35, quads G&H52 & G53]

Bruce Ripley reported the highlights of the KFN Field Trip to Pr. Edw. Pt.,
on Apr. 17: "The Traverse Woods was alive with birds all around us.
Highlights were, 1 BROWN THRASHER, 1 BLUE-HEADED VIREO, 4 PINE WARBLERS, 10
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, 1
AMERICAN WOODCOCK, 20 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS, 12 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 1
PURPLE FINCH, 3 PINE SISKINS, 2 WINTER WREN, 2 VESPER SPARROWS, 12 FOX
SPARROWS, 1 FIELD SPARROW, 10 CHIPPING SPARROWS, 1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 100
WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, 8 SURF SCOTERS, 12 HORNED GREBES, 1 CLIFF SWALLOW, 3
NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, 3 BARN SWALLOWS, 1 RUFFED GROUSE and 3 WILD
TURKEYS. A member had a BROWN CREEPER land and creep up their leg."

A cooperative YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER was seen and photographed this morning
by Bud Rowe and Paul Mackenzie at about 10.30 a.m. Apr. 19, in the trees
near the lighthouse at Prince Edward Point.

Ann Anthony, Apr. 20, reported the YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER near the
lighthouse.

Ken Kingdon, on Apr. 22, reported: the YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER around the
trees on the front lawn of the Bird Banding Station. At the Traverse Woods,
he had NASHVILLE & BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS. Other notable sightings
were RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, BROWN THRASHER & LINCOLN'S SPARROW. At the Bird
Banding Station he saw BROAD-WINGED & RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS and a PINE
SISKIN.

                                WOLFE I. [page 36, quads E56&57

Apr., 21, the North Leeds Birders got great looks at 2 large flocks of
LAPLAND LONGSPURS in breeding plumage, on fields near the junction of Base
Line and the 4th Line. There were about 20 each of: N. HARRIERS and
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS.

HOWE I. [page 36 quad D57] Sharon David reported on Apr. 20, a pair of
RED-NECKED GREBE in front of her house at #80 Havenwood Trail..

Directions: [page 36, quad D57] The ferry dock for Howe I. is at the south
end of the Joyceville Rd. The ferry fee is about $2. It debarks at the north
end of Howe Island Dr. Turn right onto Baseline Rd. & drive left onto Good
Friend Rd. which leads to Havenwood Trail.

                                                    OTHER SIGHTINGS

On Apr. 23, we heard our first HOUSE WRENS at Warbler Lane in Cartwright
Point West

[page 36, quad D56] {page 48 & 49, quads N20 & M21}

Compiled by: Robert Sachs, Kingston, Ontario