[Ontbirds]Invitation to June 5 Atlas outing to Wasaga Beach Square

Mike Cadman mcadman at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jun 2 13:43:30 EDT 2004

Hello all:

This Saturday, June 5, is Atlas Day. Activities are going on in many
regions. Contact your RC to see if there's any special plans in place
for your region.

If you don't have something planned for the day, this is an invitation
to join us for a Square Bash in the Wasaga Beach square (17NK72).
Amazingly enough, breeding evidence has been reported for only 4 species
to date in this square, which had 90 species during the first atlas.
Good birds during the first atlas included Red-shouldered Hawk,
Whip-poor-will, and Canada Warbler. The square has a good variety of
habitats, and includes Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, part of which is a
rich dune and pine forest habitat.

If you're interested in coming, contact me if you can (see contact info
below), but if you can't contact me, just show up. We'll be meeting at
the Parking Lot of the Blueberry Trails Nordic Centre on Saturday June 5
at 8 am. If you get there early, please start atlassing without us! You
can print off a map of the square (17NK72) from:
http://www.birdsontario.org/atlas/pdfdownload.jsp and can get a Coverage
Summary sheet from: http://www.birdsontario.org/atlas/viewresults.jsp

I'll have copies of each on hand.

We'll divide into groups, each assigned a different part of the square.
We'll get back together for a wrap up around mid-afternoon, but you can
stay as long as you like.

To get to the meeting spot:
 >From Hwy 400 in Barrie, go north on Hwy 27 (Bayfield Street exit) to
Elmvale. In Elmvale, turn left at Queen Street, which is Hwy 92. Follow
Hwy 92 into Wasaga Beach. Then go left on Blueberry Trails, which is at
the traffic lights at the OPP station. On Blueberry Trails, the first
driveway on your left leads to the Blueberry Trails Nordic Centre. Meet
in the Parking Lot at 8 a.m.

The weather is supposed to be good, so it should be a fun day!

Cheers,

Mike

--
MIke Cadman
Coordinator, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
E-mail mcadman at uoguelph.ca