[Ontbirds]Black Terms north of Belleville Friday

Cheryl Mound cdmound at magma.ca
Fri Jun 4 22:52:30 EDT 2004

BLACK TERNS are nesting at the Frink Centre.  Today, Friday, June 4 at 8:30 am and again when I returned at 10 am I saw a black tern feeding on the right hand side of the boardwalk just as you enter the wetlands and then head for a nesting area about 20 yards off the last viewing platform on the far side of the wetlands.  Both times the tern hovered over the nesting area with wing a-flutter and a mewing sound before descending straight down.  (Note - this is the area the Least Bitterns frequented last year.)  Today, Friday, the boardwalk also provided close-up views of Blanding's turtles, a VIRGINIA RAIL crossing the boardwalk just in front of me and a PIED BILLED GREBE near the first turn in the boardwalk.

DIRECTIONS:  North from 401 at Belleville on HWY 37 about 5 minutes to Thrasher Road (just after blue J R Frink Centre sign).  East 2 kilometres to HR Frink Centre.  Park on South side and take short Horsetail trail to WEB (Wetland Ecology Boardwalk).  Follow boardwalk to far side, enter cedars, walk through cedars a few minutes to first turn left to viewing paltform.  There is an "American Bittern" information board on the right-hand side of the viewing platform and for a "Wood Duck"  on the left.  The black tern was landing just out from the American Bittern noticeboard.

Cheryl Mound
RR4 Stirling