[Ontbirds]OFO Carden Alvar Field Trip

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 6 21:20:11 EDT 2004

Ontbirders,

Today's field trip to the Carden Alvar tallied 80 species of quality
grassland and scrubland birds. We walked along Wylie Road to the Sedge Wren
Marsh and then back to our cars parked opposite the small house where the
road is wider. Most of the group had great views of Upland Sandpiper,
Clay-colored Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Brown Thrasher,
Eastern Bluebird, Sedge Wren, and many other typical grassland species. We
lunched at the Kirkfield Lift Lock. After lunch we found a pair of
Loggerhead Shrikes in Eldon Township. At Prospect Marsh we saw and heard
Marsh Wren and Virginia Rail, heard a Sora, and watched a young Great
Horned Owl in an old Great Blue Heron nest. A Common Raven flew by at the
marsh lending a northern touch to the trip. The OFO group of 60 people
included three American birders from Ohio.

My thanks to Ron Tozer for his fine style in co-leading the trip.

Ron Pittaway
Carden Trip Leader

Jean Iron
President, Ontario Field Ornithologists