[Ontbirds]Atlassing opportunities around Moosonee

Mike Cadman mcadman at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jun 9 09:06:02 EDT 2004

Quality Birding in Moosonee and Immediate Area

by Cliff Bennett, Volunteer Atlas Coordinator for Moosonee and area.

In this fourth year of the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, I can't think of
a better place for birding atlas work than in Moosonee and immediate
area. Almost a month behind in spring development, all two hundred plus
breeders which passed through Ontario earlier in the spring, are now
here, establishing territories, finding mates and getting ready to set
up house and home. You could be here to help list them for the atlas.

Moosonee has a fabulous array of habitat including boreal forest,
wetland transition zones, willow thickets, river banks, streams, tidal
flats, island channels and more, all within a few km. of the centre of
town and on Moose Factory Island. These habitats are reachable by trails
and roadways and canoe. There are two sewage lagoons, one large quarry,
and two dumps to add to the mix. In addition to my duties as
coordinator, I've managed to build up a list of over forty species,
including eleven of the twenty-one warbler species breeding around here.
I will soon get down to serious atlassing.

For a real adventure, why not take a week off and journey to Moosonee on
the Polar Bear Express from Cochrane to help with this year's northern
atlassing. I will meet you at the train, transport you to your free
accommodation at the MNR Staff House and help build your atlassing
programme while you are here. I could do with at least five more teams,
to cover this area satisfactorily. Don't all come at once but any time
during the remainder of the atlassing season until July 15.

For more information, phone me at 1-705-336-0933 or email me at
Brody at onlink.net. <mailto:Brody at onlink.net.> Or, you can contact

Mike Cadman, Coordinator, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, 519-826-2094 or
E-mail mcadman at uoguelph.ca.

--
MIke Cadman
Coordinator, Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
Blackwood Hall, Room 211
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON
N1G 2W1