[Ontbirds]John Poon: In Memory

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 10 20:13:08 EDT 2004

Dear Birders,

OFO member, John Poon, 41, of Toronto, died last Sunday on the OFO field
trip to the Carden Alvar. We haven't said anything until now because we
didn't know all the facts and because his family was in Alberta. John's
obituary notice was in yesterday's and today's Toronto Star. His funeral is
tomorrow, Friday.

Shortly after the trip began, John suddenly collapsed along Wylie Road
while looking through his scope at an Upland Sandpiper. Immediately, a
doctor, a retired nurse, and a woman trained in CPR who were on the trip
attended to John. Jean phoned 911 on her cell phone. Emergency response
arrived quickly followed by an ambulance and the Ontario Provincial Police.
John couldn't be revived. He died of a massive heart attack.

Many of you probably know John because he was a regular on OFO trips. We
appreciated the help of those who tried to revive John and everyone's
understanding and support. John will be sadly missed. He loved birding.

John's funeral will be at on Friday June 11th at 2:30 p.m.  Visitations
start at 1:30 p.m. The service will be at the following location:

Dixon-Garland Funeral Home
166 Main Street North (Hwy 48)
Markham, Ontario L3P 1Y3
905-294-2030

We and other OFO members will be at the funeral.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway

Jean Iron
President, Ontario Field Ornithologists
9 Lichen place