[Ontbirds]OFO Trip: Long Point Area

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 19 21:48:58 EDT 2004

Saturday's field trip to the Long Point Area led by John Miles attracted 16
participants. Cool temperatures and gusty winds diminished song, but we saw
and heard many elusive woodland species thanks to John's keen eyes and
ears. We birded mainly the trails in Backus Woods and the famed Wilson
Tract, which were sheltered from the strong wind. Highlights were 2 singing
Prairie Warblers, 2 singing Acadian Flycatchers, 5 singing Hooded Warblers,
a singing Mourning Warbler in full view and a singing Yellow-throated
Vireo. Other interesting sightings were a male Scarlet Tanager at eye level
probably keeping low because of the high winds in the treetops, 4
Blackburnian Warblers, an Orchard Oriole, a Vesper Sparrow, a Grasshopper
Sparrow, and all six species of regularly occurring swallows in southern
Ontario. The group enjoyed a visit to the farm of Mary Gartshore and Peter
Carson, who grow Carolinian plants to restore the natural vegetation of
southern Ontario. Late in the afternoon from the viewing stand overlooking
Big Creek Marsh, we had a fine view of a flying Least Bittern, which was an
excellent way to end the field trip.

Thanks to John Miles and George Pond for showing us some of the best
birding spots in the Long Point Area.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway

Jean Iron
President, Ontario Field Ornithologists