[Ontbirds]Eurasian Collared-Dove - Oakville

Mark Cranford cranford7 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 10:33:24 EDT 2004

I saw the bird this morning at 9:30 am in the same spot it was reported from
the week before.  It was sitting on top of a 6 foot wooden patio fence at
the back of #92-2350 Grand Ravine Drive.  The bird's plummage is worn,
primaries are pale (same colour as rest of bird).  I could not see the
underparts.  I did not hear it make any noise.  I have seen a photo that
appears to show a grey vent as well as dark (black) markings extending down
on the outside of the outer retrices. It is considerably larger than the
nearby Mourning Doves.

Luc Fazio's directions follow and are explicit; print them out before
looking for this bird.

Directions to Eurasian Collared-Dove:
    Address: back of  Unit # 91, at 2350 Grand Ravine Dr.
             Oakville, Ontario
             {North-West of Trafalgar Rd. & Upper Middle road}

Driving directions: QEW to Trafalgar Rd.; North to Glenashton Dr.(past Upper
Middle Rd); ... turn West (Left) and follow Glenashton; turn left (south) on
Grand Ravine Dr;.... go to address 2350 units # 1-105

Turn right at the address.
Within 50 metres you will see a small "kiddie parkette" on the south side
with 5 parking spots and "No Soccer nor Baseball allowed" sign. Park
here and walk 20 metres into the "parkette" on the tarred path. Behind the
second porch-yard is where the Collared-Dove has been hanging after it was
released.

If parking is a problem- it may be easier to park on Grand Ravine Dr. and
walk
in from the 2350 address sign.

---
Mark Cranford