[Ontbirds]singing Screech Owl, Windsor

David McNorton mcnorton at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 29 07:56:08 EDT 2004

Yesterday (July 28) at 1 p.m., in the middle of a sunny afternoon, an Eastern Screech Owl began to sing the "whinny" song at about 10 second intervals, going on for about 5 minutes.  It was doing a rather poor job, with the whinny barely descending in tone.  It was followed by one run of the "toot toot toot" call, this time done by the book (or the CD-ROM).
We have a resident Screech Owl in the neighbourhood, but it has never sung at mid-day.   I really don't think it was a birder testing his new talents - any person would have given up long before the owl did.
My question is:  could this be a recently independent first-year male setting up a territory?  If the behaviour is repeated, I'll inform ONTBIRDS.  My address is 929 St. Louis Ave., Windsor.