[Ontbirds]Am. Avocets at Blenheim Lagoons

B. A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sat Jul 31 11:10:57 EDT 2004

Hi Birders,
Early this morning (Sat.) I checked out Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.  The
highlight was the presence of 3 American Avocets in pond 5.
There are several hundred shorebirds in the pond, mostly Lesser Yellowlegs.
Others included S. B. Dowitcher, Semi-palm Plover, Semi-palm S. P., Stilt
S.P, White-rumped S. P. (1), Pectoral S. P., and Least S.P.
An adult Peregrine Falcon (unbanded) was perched on the com. tower across
the road.
Erieau had the usual gulls, and Forster's, Common and Caspian Terns.

Lagoon directions:  Blenheim is located between Chatham and Rondeau
Provincial
Park.  Exit the 401 at what they used to call Hwy. 40, exit 90.
Go south to Blenheim.  At the main street in Blenheim (stop light) turn
right/west.
Go out of Blenheim on this road (old Hwy.3,
now called the Talbot Trail) for approx. 1.5  km.  Turn right (north) on
Lagoon
Rd. (at carwash) and continue north 1 km. to the lagoons.  I remind you that
you should have a permit from the town office (35 Talbot St.) located in
Blenheim.

        Blake A. Mann
         Wallaceburg,
    Chatham-Kent, ON.