[Ontbirds]Am. Pipit Blenheim/Rondeau migrants

Blake Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sat Aug 14 14:20:29 EDT 2004

Hi All,
I checked out Blenheim Lagoons and Rondeau Park this fine morning (Sat.).
Blenheim sewage lagoons have high water, and little ground for shorebirds.
Only a few Lesser Yellowlegs today.  At the sprinkler pond area I noted an
early American Pipit (pale non-breeding) with some Horned Larks.  This could
be record early for the area, as the last early record I have is August 20,
2000 at Rondeau park.  A male Wilson's Phalarope was in pond 3.
At Rondeau Park south point trail, I noted a few early migrant warblers
including 1 Blackburnian, 1 Black-and-White, 1 Canada, 1 Blue-winged and 3
Northern Waterthrush.
I walked out the south beach towards Erieau and noted several shorebirds,
most of which were adults.  One Baird's (juv.), 1 Ruddy Turnstone, 4
Semi-palmated Sandpipers, several Sanderlings, Least Sandpipers and
Semi-palmated Sandpipers.  Also noted on the lake were 3 Common Loons
(juv.).

Lagoon directions:  Blenheim is located between Chatham and Rondeau
Provincial
Park.  Exit the 401 at what they used to call Hwy. 40, exit 90.
Go south to Blenheim.  At the main street in Blenheim (stop light) turn
right/west.
Go out of Blenheim on this road (old Hwy.3,
now called the Talbot Trail) for approx. 1.5  km.  Turn right (north) on
Lagoon
Rd. (at carwash) and continue north 1 km. to the lagoons.  I remind you that
you should have a permit from the town office (35 Talbot St.) located in
Blenheim.

Blake Mann
The Mann's
Wallaceburg,